Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Artist statement


My favorite science fiction author H.P Lovecraft  once said “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.”As a cinematographer these are the things that i want to show people. when people see movies I have made I want them to be actively looking not just at the subject but the entire frame. I want people to look for the answers not just in the story but in the lighting, in the camera angles, and in the background. I have always loved science fiction and horror because, the answer could be place right in front of you and you wouldn't even know it because you were looking at what you thought the director wanted you to see. these  are the kinds of movies I think the world is ready for, and that I will make. Some may be hard for some audiences to grasp but that's the whole purpose of making them this way.Like Lovecraft says "Like the late Mr. Wilde, I live in terror of not being misunderstood" 

No comments:

Post a Comment